Thursday, May 28, 2009

Crockpot Pineapple Luau Chicken (4)

Nothing is better than coming home to a meal, all ready to eat! Using my crockpot or slowcooker as many call it, makes my life so much easier! As a working mom it was more often than not my dinner savior! Even now that I don't work outside the home, I love to have dinner done & ready, making it a well planned day - easier to stay on program!

I love to serve this over a bed of brown rice with a side salad. I use a fat free sweet/sour dressing (Wegman's) for my salad, to compliment the "Luau Chicken"

Crockpot/Slowcooker Pineapple Luau Chicken(4)
serves 6


6 chicken breast halves without skin -(I use the frozen boneless, skinless breasts - unthawed)

1 dash pepper

1/8 tsp. paprika

20 ounces pineapple chunks in natural juice -- I use the Dole canned tidbits

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 clove garlic -- minced


Place frozen chicken in bottom of crockpot. Sprinkle with pepper and paprika. Pour drained pineapple tidbits, mustard and soy sauce over chicken. Add minced garlic. Cover and cook on LOW 7-9 hours or HIGH 4-5 hours. Makes 6 servings.

It's also great to sear/brown the chicken pieces & pineapple tidbits to make the dish seem authentic. Not necessary but gives a great presentation. I simply place it in a fry pan for about 5 minutes before serving & even serve it from the deep dish fry pan I use. But believe me, it's not necessary!

You can also add frozen broccoli to the dish when cooking, it's wonderful & gets in some extra veggies!


Per Serving: 194 Calories; 2g Fat; 28g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 68mg Cholesterol; 483mg Sodium.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I'm going to try this. I love my crockpot too, just got a new one and have yet to use it. Maybe this will be my first meal in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds really good . . . i find that i haven't used my crockpot as much since going veg but I wonder how this would work with tempeh... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If tempeh cooks anything like tofu (firm/very firm) I would think it would work good? I'm not sure how it cooks up. I know the longer u cook a tofu (firm) in about 350, the more it gets a "chicken like" texture. I'm talking 2 hours or more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that! Those flavors sound really good together. I don't have much luck with my crockpot, but I keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW - this sounds and looks fabulous. I NEED to save this recipe for later. LOVE anything in the crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marisa, I swear the secret is using FROZEN meat! I know, I know... the "higher ups" who tell us food safety, etc. say NO NO NO... I've crocked for over 30 years and with these new CP's you simply have to use frozen meats or they dry your meat out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMW- totally going to try this - I LOVE pineapple.

    ReplyDelete